Whether you prefer betting on sports games or playing games involving dice or cards, gambling is a fun activity that has been enjoyed all around the world for centuries. Gambling is a popular pastime, but there are some guidelines that need to be followed in order to make the safest choices while playing.
While gambling can be exciting, it does come with the risk of addiction. If bettors’ gambling habits have begun to impact different aspects of their lives, it’s definitely time for them to take a step back and start using responsible gaming practices.
What is Responsible Gaming And Why Does It Matter?
In the simplest explanation, responsible gaming means that you are taking precautions to make sure you don’t end up with a gambling addiction. The most important thing is that you have fun while you gamble, especially since the chances of winning big are pretty slim.
Responsible gaming includes:
- Always bet less than you can comfortably afford to lose
- Limit your gambling activities
- Never put gambling in front of your responsibilities
Always keep in mind that no matter what type of gambling activity you’re participating in the house is always designed to win. Sure, you may have some small wins here and there, but overall, you should not anticipate winning big.
Why is Responsible Gaming so Important?
A gambling addiction can develop pretty quickly, with severe consequences, including:
- Losing the money you need to pay for necessary expenses, such as groceries, rent, and other bills
- Missing out on time with friends and family
- Getting buried underneath significant debt to pay for your habits
Responsible Gaming Tips
Responsible gaming is crucial if you want to prevent gambling from taking over your life. Most of the responsibility falls on you as the player, but the gambling institutions do have safeguards in place to protect their guests. Some of the things you can do as a bettor include setting limits, sticking to a budget, and not chasing your losses.
Stick to a Budget
One of the most beneficial things you can do is evaluate your finances and establish a budget that you can safely afford to lose out on. Chances are you won’t be winning big, so it’s important to understand that you may lose every penny you dedicate to gambling that time. Many online betting sites and gambling apps even give you the ability to set limits on how much you deposit so you don’t go overboard.
Setting Time Limits
In addition to limiting how much you spend, you should also set a time limit so you don’t end up wasting all of your time and money on gambling. This can help prevent you from missing out on time with your loved ones, which could potentially cross into the territory of being a gambling addiction.
Avoid Loss Chasing
Losses happen. In fact, losses are more common than wins. Loss chasing is when you keep betting higher and higher amounts in hopes of making back what you lost. This can get dangerous and lead to overspending. Always stick to your budget no matter how much you’ve lost out on.
Enjoy All Wins
Any win is a good win, even if you only get a dollar or few. If you go into a gambling session with the mindset that you’re there to have fun and any win is a bonus, you’re going to have a much better time.
There’s no question that gambling is fun. It was popular during the gladiator fights of ancient Rome, and it’s going to continue to be a favored pastime. That being said, spending too much time gambling isn’t good for everyone. The more you play, the more chances you have to overspend or get hooked on the fun of winning. Don’t game daily, and make sure you stick to your time limits.
Use Built-In App Functions
One of the best parts of using gambling apps is that there are several safeguards you can engage to ensure you don’t go overboard. From time limits that only allow you to play for a specific amount of time each day to limits on how much you can deposit, there are several things you can do to limit yourself.
Gaming Outlets Often Prioritize Gaming Responsibly
While it is mainly your responsibility to keep your gambling under control, gaming outlets know that they won’t be able to stay in business if players end up getting themselves into trouble with their gambling. Because of this, many casinos and other outlets have safety measures in place to keep their customers safe and coming back. These include:
- Automatic timeout features that will kick players off of the app if they have spent too much time playing on a single day
- Organizations aren’t allowed to advertise to kids and other vulnerable groups that lack the impulse control to gamble responsibly
- In-person establishments will stop a player from continuing if they appear to be in a poor mental state or if they seem too intoxicated, as both of these vulnerable states can lead to poor decision making
- Minors are strictly prohibited from gambling in the US, with age limits of 18 or 21, depending on the location, being enforced
Intoxicated Gaming Cutoffs
It’s no secret that poor choices are easier to make when you’re intoxicated. If you’re gambling at a casino, they often will give players free drinks, but they also pay attention to make sure their customers aren’t getting too drunk. When a player appears to be too far under the influence, an establishment has a responsibility to cut them off from more drinks and from continuing to play.
Because the brain hasn’t completed development until adulthood, kids are not allowed to gamble. Their lack of impulse control can lead to them making poor choices and potentially lead to gambling addiction. Thankfully, there are laws in place to prevent children from gambling.
Resources For Responsible Gaming Information & Support
If you’ve been having trouble keeping your gambling under control and sticking to your limits, there are resources to help.
- Gamblers Anonymous can help anyone that believes they’re alone in battling their addiction.
- The International Center for Responsible Gaming is an international organization that helps folks all over the world deal with their addiction to online gaming.
- The Louisiana Association on Compulsive Gambling is a resource for residents of Louisiana who need help with their addiction.
Enjoy Gaming Responsibly
When it comes down to it, gambling is a fun activity that can be found all over the globe. Whether you’ve been gambling for years or you’re new to the game, gaming responsibly can give you a much more fun and safe gambling experience.